[ Nutrition ]

Douglas’ knockout of Tyson still one of biggest upsets in sports history

Buster Douglas, whose defeat of heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson ranks as one of the greatest upsets of all time, said that his motivation for the fight stemmed from his mother’s belief in him. At 10-years-old, he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and soon after became fixated on the non-contact sport of tennis as a teenager. No matter how good you are, there’s always a perfect storm around the corner ready to take you out. “ Getting that was the best. “I guess at times I thought that should be easier for people to understand but it takes a lot of work to help people become better educated about what the challenges are related to diabetes and the complexity of it,” she said. Diabetes is an insidious opponent, often attacking during life’s most vulnerable stages. In 1997, Reichert was declared the Big West Conference All-Star Starting Pitcher, Big West Conference Pitcher of the Year, and First Team College All-American Starting Pitcher.

Bruce Simeone said. In the rematch a year later, Holyfield defeated Bowe to regain the WBA and IBF heavyweight titles. Dillon have in common with Arthur Ashe, Bobby Clarke, Jay Cutler, Buster Douglas, Walt Frazier, Catfish Hunter, Billie Jean King, Adam Morrison, Ron Santo, Jack Tatum, Smokin’ Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Robinson and, of all people, Ty Cobb and Jackie Robinson? 7:39:16 A.M. and tennis great Arthur Ashe. “My mother was a strong woman,” Douglas said. During the “Diabetes 101” session, Deb Dieter, RN, certified diabetes educator, a member of St.

She was already sick when we got the fight, so I knew what was going on with her. Buster Douglas took the fight very seriously and put on the performance of his life. Sports Illustrated’s simple but brilliant cover that week said it all: a picture of a groggy Tyson on the canvas emblazoned with the abbreviation ‘KO’d’. Tyson shrugged and responded with an odd sentiment for an unbeaten and seemingly indestructible fighter: “If I get my butt whipped, I’ll take the blame.” Once in Tokyo, Snowell and others in the Tyson camp went out for some early morning roadwork—without Tyson himself!—and came upon a solitary runner up ahead: Douglas. Yes, I agree with Haye. Shortly after, the RWJF Commission to Build a Healthier America issued a report highlighting major strategies to improve America’s health, particularly among young Americans, that extended beyond medical care, further bringing the social determinants of health to light. He was 37-0 with 33 knockouts.

After a short break,” she laughed. He had become one of the most captivating people in sports. Douglas had fought on several of Tyson’s undercards, so Tyson was familiar with him. Indeed, it is not dough that nearly precipitated Douglas’ downfall, but doughnuts, and indeed just about every other form of harmful foodstuff that he could get his big mitts on. Douglas hadn’t fought in two and a half years since Holyfield got through with him, and it showed. He wasn’t training as seriously as he normally would. Once the basketball game began, Douglas passed the ball every time he touched it.

He got knocked down by Greg Page during a sparring session a couple of weeks before the fight. After he died – it lessened the voices that were leading in the right direction. That’s what happened late in the eighth round, when Tyson’s right uppercut sent Douglas to the canvas. In the years since their epic meeting, Douglas has not spoken with Tyson, but the two always will share a special kinship. Don King had taken over the handling of Tyson from Bill Cayton in 1988. King was comfortable around heavyweight champions. He had worked with Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes.

Rulon sensed his opponent was tiring and he was right. “I think he was training on the wrong thing,” said King, noting that Greg Page had knocked down Tyson during a sparring session. Being the champ, being the man, was nothing like I expected. But I still thought Mike would win the fight. “In my mind, Mike was the only one who could beat Mike,” added King, who was in the ring before the opening bell waving an American flag in one hand with an unlit cigar in the other. As the fight progressed, King could sense trouble. They would rather face unranked opponents and washed-up former sparring partners.

Then, near the end of the eighth round, he finally unleashed one that sent Douglas to the canvas. Douglas beat the count of 10 and the bell sounded to end the round. King was infuriated by what he had just seen and feels the same way 25 years later. Then came the 10th round. And as Tyson struggled to regain his bearings and the count headed toward 10, King was helpless — and perhaps speechless for the first time in his life. Ed Schuyler Jr. covered boxing for The Associated Press and had seen his share of great fights over the years.

When he arrived in Tokyo for Tyson-Douglas, there was nothing that led him to believe Tyson would lose. Schuyler didn’t write his fight-night stories on a computer or a typewriter. He would dictate what he saw to someone on the AP’s copy desk in New York. And when Tyson knocked down Douglas in the eighth round, Schuyler, like most everyone else, figured it was just a matter of time before the champ finished off the challenger. Jim Lampley had been calling boxing for about four years when he flew to Tokyo to call Tyson-Douglas on HBO. He admitted to still being relatively new to the sport, but with veteran sports writer Larry Merchant and future Hall of Fame fighter Sugar Ray Leonard working with him, he knew he was in good company. “I think we were all swept up in the mismatch and romantic trappings of Mike,” Lampley said.

Foreign Secretary under Tony Blair, he resigned from the government in March 2003 in protest over Britain’s involvement in Iraq. But I’ve said this many times — if you put all the struggles Buster had aside and all the issues Mike had with Quick Tillis, Mitch Green and Jose Ribalta, all of them who were taller fighters with a jab, Buster was better than all of them. As Lampley prepared to call the fight, he had something in the back of his mind: his flight back to the United States that day. If Tyson did what everyone expected and knocked out Douglas early, no sweat. He makes his Singapore Airlines fight easily. As the fight ended, Lampley, Merchant and Leonard were hustled out of the Tokyo Dome, whisked to the airport and made their flight. By early afternoon, Lampley was back in Los Angeles, where he was to attend an awards show, as well as do two sportscasts for the CBS affiliate he was working for.

At the time of Tyson-Douglas, Jimmy Vaccaro ran the race and sports book at The Mirage, Steve Wynn’s newest hotel-casino that opened in November 1989. Vaccaro, who grew up in Pittsburgh, knew a lot about the fight business. But when the fight was made, Las Vegas sports books were tepid about setting a line. It was considered such a mismatch that oddsmakers feared they wouldn’t get enough two-way action to reduce the amount of exposure to the house. “Nobody thought Douglas had a chance,” Vaccaro said. “So the question was, ‘What do you make the line?’ My initial instinct was to make it 12-1, but I realized we’d get killed with Tyson money. With real-time X-ray imaging, Bowkley snaked the guide wire through Renstrom’s arteries, up to and around her heart, into the internal carotid artery behind her jawbone and through the middle of the clot in her cerebral artery.

Los Angeles Times. Charles Bowkley shows Rebecca Renstrom images of her brain taken during her stroke. The fight wasn’t shown at The Mirage, so Vaccaro had to follow it on a ticker in the sports book. That’s how he found out Douglas had knocked out Tyson. Vaccaro had no idea how well until his phone rang around 2 a.m. It was someone at the hotel. He had a ton of messages from media outlets around the world, journalists wanting to talk with him about booking bets on the huge underdog that was Douglas.

He returned to the ring in 1995 and regained the heavyweight title in 1996 before losing it to Evander Holyfield in November of that year at the MGM Grand Garden. In their rematch in June 1997 at the MGM Grand Garden, Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear twice during the fight and was disqualified. He was fined $3 million and had his license revoked by the Nevada Athletic Commission for one year. Tyson returned to the ring in 1999 and fought until 2005 before retiring after back-to-back losses to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride. His record was 50-6 with 44 knockouts, two no contests and one disqualification. He has returned to boxing as a promoter of Iron Mike Productions. Most recently, he has worked as the producer of a successful TV cartoon show.

Now 48, he lives in Las Vegas. Douglas cashed in on his success in Tokyo, with Wynn signing him to an exclusive two-fight deal worth $60 million. But in his first fight after Tyson, Douglas lost to Holyfield on Oct. 25, 1990, in a specially constructed outdoor arena at The Mirage. His reign as heavyweight champion lasted less than nine months. He returned to the ring in 1996 and fought nine times before retiring for good in 1999 with a 38-6-1 record and 25 knockouts. Now 54, he lives in Columbus and works in a youth boxing program.

He says his diabetes is under control and he loves his life.

Tags: , ,